Hey, friends! This past Tuesday my newest book Lost in the Library was released!
It’s about Patience & Fortitude, the New York Public Library lion statues that faithfully guard the Fifth Avenue entrance … until one night when Patience goes missing – and Fortitude has to venture INTO the library (for the first time ever!) to find him.
And this weekend I’ll be celebrating the launch of the book AT THE NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY! How cool is that?! For the first time ever, I get to read one of my books *with* the illustrator! Yes, Stevie Lewis will be reading with me! And you’re invited!
There will be food, crafts, a band, and possibly REAL LIVE LIONS*! I hope to see you there – Sunday, 9/9 at 10am!
But if you can’t make it, that’s okay. You can still pick up the Lost in the Library at any retailer or library. And the folks at Macmillan have even made a *free* downloadable printable activity kit – so you can celebrate along from the comfort of your home!
*there will not be real live lions.
- Saturday, September 8th: Bronx KidsLIVE at The Bronx Library Center, 310 East Kingsbridge Road, Bronx, NY, USA
- Sunday, September 9th: Lost in the Library Book Launch at The Mid-Manhattan Library at 42nd Street, 476 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY, USA
- Sunday, September 16th: Double Boston Book Launch with Melissa Stewart’s Pipsqueaks, Slowpokes, and Stinkers at Porter Square Books, 25 White Street, Cambridge, MA, USA
Two for You
1. The Remember Balloons written by Jessie Oliveros & illustrated by Dana Wulfekotte
2. Cute as an Axolotl written by Jess Keating & illustrated by David DeGrand
Yesterday, the New York Public Library (yes, that New York Public Library) revealed the cover of Lost in the Library: A Story of Patience & Fortitude, a book I wrote as part of a Macmillan team-up with the NYPL, illustrated by Stevie Lewis.
Lost in the Library: A Story of Patience & Fortitude is the first picture book about Patience and Fortitude, the two lion statues that faithfully guard the New York Public Library. When Patience goes missing, Fortitude realizes the secret to Patience’s disappearance may be within the Library itself.
The NYPL Twitter feed says, “With clever rhyme and vibrant art, Lost in the Library introduces young readers to Patience and Fortitude, the noble lions who stand guard in front of NYPL.”
Here’s a picture from one year, one week, and one day ago (1.9.17) when I visited the library to do research for this book (at the time, Patience in his rightful place).
I’m particularly excited about this book because Stevie Lewis’s illustrations are utterly glorious – and the writing isn’t half bad, I guess.
Lost in the Library will be released on August 28, 2018. You can pre-order it everywhere and mark it ‘to read’ on goodreads right now!
Indiebound B&N Amazon Goodreads BAM! Book Depository Indigo
- Saturday, March 10 at 11:00am: Pancake Storytime at the Bacon Free Library, 58 Eliot St, Natick, MA, USA
- Friday, April 20 – Sunday, April 22: 2018 New England Regional SCBWI Conference at the Sheraton Springfield Monarch Place, One Monarch Place, Springfield, MA, USA
- Thursday, April 26 at 6:00pm: Fairy Tale Festival at Barnes & Noble Nashua, 235 Daniel Webster Hwy, Nashua, NH, USA
Two for You
1. I Love You for Miles and Miles written by Alison Goldberg and illustrated by Mike Yamada
2. Accident written & illustrated by Andrea Tsurumi
I’ve been relatively absent from the blog over the last few months – for all good reasons* – but during that time I announced two new books that will be arriving on shelves in 2018!
The first is called Albie Newton, about a boy genius who can paint like Van Gogh and find a cure for cooties. But when his latest masterpiece wreaks havoc on the first day of school, his greatest experiment yet is learning to make new friends. Ester Garay is illustrating – and let me tell you, her illustrations are so adorable you’ll melt. Albie Newton will be published by Sterling Children’s in the spring of 2018.
The second announcement is for Lost in the Library: A Story of Patience and Fortitude about the two lions who faithfully guard the New York Public Library. When Patience goes missing, Fortitude realizes the secret to Patience’s disappearance may be within the Library itself. Stevie Lewis is illustrating – and I haven’t seen anything yet, but I *love* her art! This is the first picture book that Macmillan & Henry Holt plan to publish in partnership with the New York Public Library, scheduled for publication in 2018.
Neither book is available for pre-order yet, but both books are on goodreads if you’d like to mark them ‘Want to Read’ (which is always helpful). You can do so here for Albie Newton and here for Lost in the Library.
Side note about Lost in the Library – I didn’t actually come up with this idea – it was proposed by Macmillan and the NYPL (the project is their Intellectual Property or ‘IP’). My agent, Kathleen Rushall, asked if I was interested in submitting a sample for consideration and eventually I was awarded this awesome opportunity. So congrats to you, Kathleen – on both of these deals. And thank you!
* My blogging absence is due entirely for good reasons – I was busy planning and coordinating the New England SCBWI Conference, followed by a two week promotional book tour for my newest picture book, The Case of the Stinky Stench, followed by several weeks of trying to catch up on everything I’d missed because of the former two items.
- Saturday, June 17 at 11am: Gibson’s Bookstore, 45 South Main Street, Concord, NH, US
- Saturday, June 24 at 11:30am: Barnes & Noble, Warwick Center, 1350 Bald Hill Road, Warwick, RI, US
Two for You
(two books I recommend you read)
1. Shark Lady: The True Story of How Eugenie Clark Became the Ocean’s Most Fearless Scientist written by Jess Keating & illustrated by Marta Álvarez Miguens
2. 7 Ate 9: The Untold Story written by Tara Lazar & illustrated by Ross MacDonald