What’s the Global Read Aloud? Well, in short, for every age group, a book is picked that classrooms across the globe read aloud and then use to connect over Twitter, Skype, etc. with others reading the same book (in the case of picture books, an author, illustrator, or author/illustrator is picked to have many of their books read). Founded by Pernille Ripp in 2010, the Global Read Aloud has millions of participants across 80 countries annually.
(Note for all teachers out there – GRA is an incredible experience – you should totally look into it. Details are here.)
What does being a finalist mean? It means that YOU can help select which of the following picture book creators will have their books read aloud to classrooms across the globe in 2018. The finalists include:
- A combination of Julie Flett and Monique Gray Smith.
- Christian Robinson
- Pat Zietlow Miller
- Josh Funk*
- Dan Santat
I’m incredibly honored to be on a list with these amazing artists. To be honest, it’s a bit surreal.
With all that said, I encourage you to head over to the Global Read Aloud website and vote for your favorite!
* That’s me.
- Wednesday, April 11 at 6pm: Opening Week Storytime at The Silver Unicorn Bookstore, 12 Spruce Street, West Acton, MA, USA
- Friday, April 20 – Sunday, April 22: 2018 New England Regional SCBWI Conference at the Sheraton Springfield Monarch Place, One Monarch Place, Springfield, MA, USA
- Thursday, April 26 at 6:00pm: Fairy Tale Festival at Barnes & Noble Nashua, 235 Daniel Webster Hwy, Nashua, NH, USA
Two Four for You
1. My Heart Fills with Happiness / Ni Miyawaten Niteh Ohcih written by Monique Gray Smith & illustrated by Julie Flett
2. Sophie’s Sqaush writtenby Pat Zietlow Miller & illustrated by Anne Wilsdorf
3. Gaston written by Kelly DiPucchio & illustrated by Christian Robinson
4. The Three Ninja Pigs written by Corey Rosen Schwartz & illustrated by Dan Santat